Check this out:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/staticfiles/#staticfiles-dirs

I put a static folder in my project root where I put all the project
specific (ant not app specific) static files. The folder's path is then
added to STATICFILES_DIRS.

But note that this static folder is different than STATIC_ROOT folder where
the collectstatic management command collects all static files for
deployment
(https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/settings/#std:setting-STATIC_ROOT)

I separate them because the first one is checked into version control,
while the second one is not.