Just did a cursory read of the geodjango documentation for the first
time...the querysets being returned from "all()" (or really, just objects)
need to be GeoQuerySets which have a default "position" as part of their
specification (I think), also such modules need to inherit from the geo
version of model.Model AND use a special GeoManager. So, once you use that
special manager, there is a point, boundary or area tat all the geo
functions refer to.