From: Mike Dewhirst
Sent: 12/23/2012 4:59 PM
To: django-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Django asset management and dynamically created databases
On 24/12/2012 8:10am, Chad Vernon wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm designing a database for an animation studio to track assets across
> multiple shows.  We potentially would want each show to have its own
> database, however we would want functionality to search for assets
> across all shows.

It would *much* simpler to put it all in a single database. In my
personal opinion, there would need to be a strong business case for
multiple databases to justify the added complexity.

I am exploring the use of django as the main
> framework for this system as it would provide a nice front and back end
> interface that is easy to build upon.  Is it possible in django to
> dynamically create a new show database when a new show is created in the
> admin interface of the main database?  How would I then get the
> settings.py to pick this up dynamically?

Yes it is possible and indeed easy provided you don't want a separate
database per show. Much easier to add a separate record in a "show" table.

> The only reference I've found is this which seems to go against the
> advice of the django devs:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6585373/django-multiple-and-dynamic-databases

Always go with the flow rather than try and make something work against
the design.

Good luck

Mike