On 24/01/2013 10:46am, frocco wrote:
Thanks Mike,

I do not know if this will work.
I want to change the field in the template as I read each row.
I do this in PHP rather easy, but am confused on how to do this using
django.

I haven't done much php (only emergency repairs to stuff written by others after they have disappeared!) so I don't know how easy that might be.

In Django templates you can use HTML and for-loops to do most things. You just write a class in your view to get the data from a query_set and construct a list of objects (in your case, each row and a list of all of its individual choices as found - foreign key or many-to-many - in the database) and render it in your template. There is plenty of template power available ...

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/ref/templates/builtins/

It might look like this ...

{% if list_of_row_objects %}
    <ul>
    {% for row_object in list_of_row_objects %}
        <li>{{ row_object.field_name }}
            <ol>
                {% for choice in row_object.choices %}
                    <li>{{ choice.name }}</li>
                {% empty %}
                    <li>There are no choices for this row</li>
                {% endfor %}
            </ol>
        </li>
    {% endfor %}
    </ul>
{% else %}
{% endif %}

hth

Mike

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:03:28 PM UTC-5, Mike Dewhirst wrote:

    On 24/01/2013 2:36am, frocco wrote:
     > Hello,
     >
     > In my view, I am displaying rows of data that have a choice field
    in a form.
     > one form for each row
     >
     > I want to change the choice this before printing.
     >
     > one row can have 1 to 5 choices
     > another row can have 1 to 10 choices depending on values in each
    row.

    I'm likely to want something similar soon so I googled "how do I
    dynamically modify a django choice field" and got at least a page of
    results. Here is one which I looked at and found interesting. It may
    suit your needs ...

    http://ilian.i-n-i.org/django-forms-choicefield-with-dynamic-values/
    <http://ilian.i-n-i.org/django-forms-choicefield-with-dynamic-values/>

    Good luck