On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Joe Jasinski <joe.jasin...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been experiencing the same issue on OSX 10.8.2.
>
> $ ./manage.py shell
>
> ImproperlyConfigured: Could not import user-defined GEOMETRY_BACKEND
> "geos".
>
> I've installed Postgresapp (http://postgresapp.com/documentation), which
> includes Postgres 9.2.2, PostGIS 2.0.2, GEOS 3.3.5, and Proj (not sure of
> the version, but likely recent).  Note: I also got the same error when
> installing postgres from homebrew.  Various tutorials indicate that I
> should set the following in settings.py.  (
> http://wiki.bitnami.org/Components/Django/GoeDjango_with_PostGIS_Quick_Start_Guide
> )
>

> GDAL_LIBRARY_PATH="/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgdal.dylib"
>
> GEOS_LIBRARY_PATH="/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgeos_c.dylib"
> GDAL_DATA="/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/share/gdal"
>
> Upon doing so, I get a different error.
>
> OSError:
> dlopen(/Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgeos_c.dylib, 6):
> Library not loaded: @executable_path/../lib/libgeos-3.3.5.dylib
>   Referenced from:
> /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgeos_c.dylib
>   Reason: image not found
>
> Below is evidence that the files from PATH statements above do exist.
>
> $ ls -la /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgdal.dylib
> lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 jjasinski  staff  15 Jan 24 20:56
> /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgdal.dylib ->
> libgdal.1.dylib
>
> $ ls -la /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgeos_c.dylib
> lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 jjasinski  staff  17 Jan 24 20:56
> /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libgeos_c.dylib ->
> libgeos_c.1.dylib
>
> $ ls -ald /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/share/gdal
> drwxr-xr-x@ 47 jjasinski  staff  1598 Jan 24 20:56
> /Applications/Postgres.app/Contents/MacOS/share/gdal
>
> My next step is to try to get this running in an Ubuntu virtual machine,
> but I'd really like to get it work natively in OSX.

I see that you include a reference to the BitNami documentation, however
just to confirm, none of you is working with the BitNami Django Stack,
right? In any case the documentation although tested with BitNami should be
quite general. Maybe it is a compatibility issue with the different
components. Also you mentioned that you'd like to get it working on OS X,
have you tried BitNami? It should work, or at least we may be able to
provide support if you find any issue.

Best regards,

Victoria.