On 5/04/2013 12:36am, Bill Freeman wrote:
It is also possible to use a non-distribted VCS, like Subversion, but
you lose, IIUC, the ability to check in incremental stuff

If you work in (say) your own branch of a SVN repo you can check in as often as you like. And you can merge other branches - including trunk - into your own as often as you like. That is the "way" it is intended to be used. Only when you are convinced all the merged changes (including trunk) in your own branch work properly would you be confident in merging back into trunk.

So if "the network is the computer", SVN *is* distributed and increment-friendly. I think git and friends are very popular because so many devs like to operate with laptops in cafes and trains etc.

or check what
was their in an older version, when not connected.

That is true if the SVN repo is on the network. But there are a number of ways to organise things with a local repo if that is your situation. However, if that is your situation, I agree git or hg would be better.

I'm just planning a deployment scenario with SVN: dev --> staging (sharing the dev database) --> production.

I'll open up a deploy branch in the repo and merge trunk into that when I'm ready to deploy. Then I only need a script on the production server to fetch the deploy branch whenever I want to update production.

Mike