What i am going to suggest is totally orthogonal to your requirement as i
am not helping you with apace+mod_wsgi. Though this generally works, but i
think you should consider nginx if you are thinking about new deployments
or learning this skill.

And the reasons why i suggest nginx? Well..
1. extremely simple config file
2. my experiments showed me darn low cpu and memory consumption patterns.
...and many more that you will find on a quick web-search for 'nginx vs
apache'; but these were the primary motivators for me.

Also, i see nginx+uwsgi sits pretty well and is pretty easy to manage. I
also hear good things about gunicorn and it looks simple too. But i like
some of the features of uwsgi(like spooler) which makes me tilt towards it.

-V