On 21 May 2013 13:04, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Scott Anderson
> <scottanderso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:18:07 AM UTC-4, WongoBongo wrote:
>>>
>>> You don't have to become an expert with postgres to use Django. You can do
>>> most of the db development using SQLite and hold off on postgres until you
>>> are ready to deploy.
>>

>> I highly recommend *against* waiting for PostgreSQL until deployment. There
>> are significant differences between SQLite, PostgreSQL, and MySQL. If you
>> wait until deployment to test on your production database you will find
>> yourself fixing and changing things at the last minute. Start testing on
>> your production deployment database as soon as possible.
>
> The purpose of using an ORM is to make your application database
> agnostic.

ORM stands for Object Relational Mapper. My thinking is that if its
role was solely to make applications database agnostic it would be
called something like Common Database Interface, or Database Agnostic
Layer. Such things do exist, yet so do ORMs. ISTM that ORMs help you
write good applications, not just make things agnostic.

> You should not find that changing DB engine is overly
> taxing.

Hmm, well. A YMMV moment if ever there was one.

> The point is, installing and learning the ins and outs of an RDBMS is
> not necessary to using Django.

Often, yes. But mostly, one needs to consider details about the whole
stack in making things work well.

There are lots of good reasons for careful selection of each part of
your stack. Choosing Django was no doubt an informed decision and one
made with a view to the many good things this gives you. Other
products in your stack benefit from similar careful and informed
decision making.

Otherwise we'd all be using microCOBOL on Netware.

> If you think you are stuck trying to
> install or understand postgres, just ignore it and use sqlite. You can
> always change at a later date.

Changing a major architectural component in your stack is not a
trivial thing. Major changes affect the quality of your deliverables.

The most important thing is that a database is a shared resource. If
you write all your programs assuming you'll be the only user then it
likely won't work very well in production.