On Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:51:09 PM UTC-4, Scott Anderson wrote:

> I highly recommend *against* waiting for PostgreSQL until deployment.
> There are significant differences between SQLite, PostgreSQL, and MySQL. If
> you wait until deployment to test on your production database you will find
> yourself fixing and changing things at the last minute. Start testing on
> your production deployment database as soon as possible.

I'm going to echo Scott's sentiment. I ran into enough
difficult-to-troubleshoot (or just annoying) issues resulting from
inconsistencies between sqlite and postgres that I no longer allow my
developers to use sqlite at all. We now use vagrant to install debian VMs
running postgres on all our developer machines. We have a shell script that
automatically creates and configures a database for the project, so it
doesn't end up taking too much longer to set up than sqlite.

That said, if you're just getting started with django, you probably don't
want to deal with postgres yet. Feel free to tinker and learn against
sqlite, but once you start writing code that you're eventually going to put
into production, I'd start using whatever database you're going to use in
production.

Kevin