On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM, zweb <ashish8...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are web frameworks useful in mobile first world of today?
>
> With apps required to support multiple front ends including Mobile and
> Web, is using a web framework like ROR or Django more of a liability.
>
> Would not a light weight rest framework be better?

Sure. Use a lightweight framework.

Then you need to expose a series of API endpoints, so you add a URL routing
library to your stack.

Then you discover that you need to supply your API with data, so you need
an ORM or some other data library.

Then you need to handle user inputs, so you need a data validation library.

Then you need to handle authentication, so you plug in a bunch of
authentication and user account library.

And all of a sudden, your "lightweight" framework is the same weight the
same as Django -- except that you've had to spend a bunch of time
evaluating ORMs, URL routers, data validators, and authentication
libraries, learning out how they work, and working out how to tie them all
together.

Don't get me wrong -- there are some very good lightweight frameworks, and
a lightweight framework *might* be the right solution for your situation --
it's impossible to say without more details. Ultimately, you need to
evaluate your own situation and make a call.

However, don't fall into trap of believing that "lightweight" frameworks
are a panacea that avoid all the 'bloat' of Django. Django is the size it
is for a reason. Lightweight frameworks have made design decisions to omit
features, and those design decisions have consequences.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)