TEMPLATE_DIRS needs to have the location of the templates. As long as those
templates are being picked up and one is called 'password_reset_form.html'
it should work.

One of my apps has this form at:

/my_project/templates_global/registration/password_reset_form.html

In /my_project/my_project/settings.py

PROJECT_ROOT = os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(__file__)))

TEMPLATE_DIRS = (
    os.path.join(PROJECT_ROOT, 'templates_global')
)

The templates were all copied
from django.contrib.admin.templates.registration