For reporting purposes I want to use List & Label from Combit. The
web/online part is no big deal since the reporting module can be run
without user interface (creating Excel or PDF files)

But the actual form designer part that is used to define the report layout
is a windows GUI application, so I would like to have a python file inside
my Django app that I can call to start the designer part on my local
machine.

I have now read a bunch of descriptions on how to use Django in a
standalone application but did not succeed so far in actually running my
form designer.

This is what I currently have, i tried to start this via "python
formdesigner.py", after activating the correct virtualenv:

from Tkinter import *
from ctypes import *
import django
from models import *

LL = windll.cmll18

### Declaration of application class omitted, this is plain python  ####

app = Application()
app.master.title("List & Label sample application")
app.mainloop()

Regardless what I try, I can't get the model class import to work.

I also tried SET DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=settings and project.settings and
project.app.settings... nothing worked.

thomas