I don't have a very specific answer for your question. I just started doing
my django dev on OSX coming from Ubuntu
My understanding is that Home Brew is a better solution than Mac Ports, I
have heard some people being very critical of Mac Ports which I think was
once the best solution for python environments on OSX but I think has been
mostly replaced by Home Brew. Switching over may solve your problem
automatically and may make life easier down the road too. But maybe someone
else will have a more knowledgable, specific answer to your specific
problem.
Another solution that doesn't require and headaches is that Mavericks, the
new OSX release may still be free for download. They announced it was free
but the way they worded it made it sound like it may have only been free
for the day it came out. Not sure if that's a road you want to go down or
not.
Good Luck,
Doug

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAAo39dYUP87S4uJuHA0gd13EaPReMo7mGHZ3jtWwemFRSFFBpQ%40mail.gmail.com.