Hi
You are running into typical production Django problems - works fine in
testing, terrible in production.
Firstly
If you use attributed many-to-manys, create the table outside of Django and use
raw SQL.Create a primary key on the two things being related (usually larger
table first).
Multi-column indicesTwo choicesA single index that includes both (do this
outside Django)Two indices, one for each columnThe size will be roughly
equivalent between the two
Single composite indexsmaller than two indexes.faster to update.accelerates a
more restricted range of queries.An index on (A, B) does nothing for queries
just using BBut on the queries it does accelerate, it will be faster.
Two indiceslargerslower to updatewill help on queries on both columns, but not
as much as a single composite indexwill help accelerate queries on either of
the columnscan be expressed directly in Django
Helpful Toolpg_stat_activity shows a wealth of useful information - including
which indexes are actually being used
If an index is not being used (or not being used very often) drop itif you are
surprised that it is not being used, find out why
Basic Performance Rules1. Do not iterate over QuerySets2. If you think you have
to iterate over a QuerySet, see rule #13. If you are absolutely, certainly,
100% positive that the only possible solution to your problem is iterating over
a QuerySet, see rule #3
Iteration - A Health Warning• Ignores Django’s lazy-evaluation mechanism and
copies everything into local memory• Copies data from the database just to
process it locally• Does filtration or summation in the application that is
processed more efficiently in the database.• Databases are good at this sort of
stuff let the DB do it
Alternatives to Iteration• QuerySet.update()• cursor.execute(“UPDATE
reader_hours ...”)• Stored procedures
Take in the code below
How much many objects are in memory at point A?
qs = Orders.objects.all() # There are about 2,500,000 rows in “orders”
for order in qs:order.age_in_days += 1 # POINT A order.save()
Answer  - 2,500,000
Why Is This?
Django does lazy evaluation… (everyone tells me so!)The Django code carefully
asks for a slice of 100 objectswhich trickles down through lots of really
convoluted Python to psycopg2which dutifully asks for 100 rows from
Postgreswhich sends all 2,500,000 over the wire
Solution - Named CursorsThe protocol between the Postgres client and server
only does partial sends when using named cursorspsycopg2 fully supports named
cursorsDjango doesn’t use named cursorsTherefore, the first time you ask for any
object in a QuerySet, you get all of themThis is a very good reason not to ask
for large result sets
INif using Django avoid the IN operation at all costs
If there are potentially more than 15 items in the list, rework the IN as a
JOIN against whatever the source of the keys is

At some stage you are going to have to get to grips with SQL, might as well be
sooner than later
R+C
PS some time ago one of my clients was only able to process 4 transactons a
second against their very complicated DB. They needed to process 70+
transactions per second. After 3 days of code analysis we had the transaction
rate up to 240 per second and so could get rid of the 6 week backlog that had
developed. Front end coders didn't consider the DBMS to be importantDate: Sun,
3 Nov 2013 02:37:09 -0800