On Friday, November 8, 2013 8:44:09 AM UTC+2, Robin St.Clair wrote:

>  Anssi
>
> The last time I checked the use of IN, all the records from the database
> in the query were brought back to the workstation, rather than being
> processed on the backend and only the results returned to the workstation.
>
> Have there been changes that carry out the entire query on the backend?
> What has changed to cause you to prefer the use of the IN statement?

Django has had the ability to execute __in=qs in single query for a
somewhat long time (from Django 1.2 maybe?).

It is true that __in lookup against a large list of values is often a bad
choice even if you have the values at hand. Unfortunately this doesn't
apply to all databases, for example older versions of MySQL do not handle
subqueries well.

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/f3428fda-e4be-4d75-8626-a95bd20f66c8%40googlegroups.com.