Said fuck it, gave up and used Nginx + Gunicorn.

We're good now. No idea what the hell was happening, but this works now.
Humbling to realize how little I know about the ORM internals.

Thanks for listening,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CADJYzxJGMNbfqGhsDZkmUdAy1nKfy%3DcFbHEMmXex51A1p4FR4Q%40mail.gmail.com.