Hi Enquest,
Enquest wrote:
> How hard is it to set up a search engine with Django?
Easy!  Just search the model documentation for 'search_fields'.  That
is, the admin interface has this feature built in, you just need to tell
it which fields you want searched.

> In PHP I used to explode, implode all words of an insert, update. Each
> word I would put in to a table words and an other tabel that referred to
> the words and id of where it came. You know the drill.
I do something similar with the mine but I use my table data to create
'documents' (in memory) that are indexed by the Xapian indexing engine.
  This resulted in searches that are many orders of magnitude faster
than searching the db table directly (postgres, 8M recs).

> In my own little failed framework in php I used to add in the model view
> =>search ... My system would then know this field needs to be
> search-able.
>
> How hard would it be to set something similar in Django.
Easy ;)

> PS. is there any tutorial or plugin for this task to make it more easy
> to adept?
I suggest trying Django's built-in "search engine" first as it's a snap
to setup and test.  See the second page of the Django tutorial.  If it's
not fast or flexible enough for you, then have a look at some of the
full-text search engines available.  If you are using MySQL, it has one
built-in, I've heard.  I've read that others here have had success with
"Swish-e" but I found, and it states this on its website, that the
indexer really slows down after a couple million documents.  I chose
Xapian because the indexing my 8M records was accomplished in a
reasonable amount of time and the search engine is really quite fast;
that and because it has Python bindings.

Search the mailing list archives for more on this subject as it's been
discussed here before.

Best,

Eric.