Hi Malik,

On 11/12/2014 08:27 PM, Malik Rumi wrote:
> Q: This is a ‘help me understand how this works / what it does’ question
> rather than a ‘help me I’m stuck’ question. I have an existing Django
> project I wanted to get on Heroku. I created a new site on Heroku,
> uploaded my project, and ran migrations. But all I have is a generic
> new, empty Django site. The Django admin knows nothing about my models.
> Now, granted, I have not yet put up my existing database but I expected
> it to at least create the tables for my models, which it did not. Of
> course they are in installed apps, but I did not run ‘startapp’ since
> the app already exists. So why didn’t this work?

I don't know why it isn't working. What WSGI server are you using in the
Heroku deployment? Can you point to the instructions you followed to
deploy your project on Heroku?

> Or, should the question be: 'in the case of moving a pre-existing
> project, what do you do /instead /of 'startapp''?

Nothing. Just migrate.

> Or maybe I have to run startapp anyway? Why?

Startapp is nothing but a convenience to pre-generate a skeleton of some
files; it is precisely and entirely equivalent to creating those same
files yourself in your codebase.

Personally, I never use "startapp" at all, even to create an app in the
first place.

It is certainly not necessary to run it for existing apps on new
deployments.

Carl