I now checked the RDS settings and set a CONN_MAX_AGE on the database
connection. Previously the connections were being terminated after use, so
it probably took a while to get information from the database (so
CONN_MAX_AGE was 0). I could see this in the number of connections that are
on the server now, which have increased greatly. I will try the
configuration this way and see if any change happens.

I am not completely convinced that this is the issue though....

Thanks for all the information so far!

Regards,

Andréas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CALXYUb%3D383AOE1xd1L1G_M%3D6gaAw5aHAoUNMX6_fDzNobSch2A%40mail.gmail.com.