Personally I don't use any library between Angular and Django (so I don't
know about django-angular).

I create specific templates for Angular so I don't have to change the {{
and }] syntax (you can also use the {% verbatim %} tag in your templates if
you don't want to create individual templates).

If you want to do notifications with SwampDragon there is a blog post about
that here:
http://wildfish.com/blog/2014/12/09/swampdragon-real-time-django-notifications/
(including desktop notifications from the browser) along with a Github repo
with the source code.
You could probably take most of that code and adopt it to your own project.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/31bbb0e2-1997-40d4-87dd-0a0c61b28653%40googlegroups.com.