Hi Gabriel,

On 03/27/2015 02:10 PM, Gabriel Pugliese wrote:
> I perfectly understand what you are saying. It was very clear and
> informative, but do not agree with the design chosen here. Below is just
> an opinion and you do not have to agree with it:

That's good :-) I probably won't continue with the design discussion
past this email, because I don't think we will reach a conclusion which
convinces the Django core team to change the design.

> My buddies have given PHP and Rails examples, but there are other
> frameworks from other languages that do that the same way.

I'm not personally aware of them, but I believe you. If this behavior
ever becomes part of an accepted RFC, I'm sure Django will implement it
in core :-)

> I mean,
> what's the advantage here doing differently from others?

I already tried to explain that: simple, predictable behavior that
exposes the underlying querystring data directly to the user, with no
munging of values which might be unexpected by some users.

Django provides the simple, predictable basic behavior. If you want this
extended special behavior, it's easy to implement it on top of what
Django provides.

> And I don't agree it follows KISS if I need to re-iterate on the result
> again to get a dict from it (one clear example usage is destructuring as
> named function parameters).

If you just want a dict, you don't need to iterate, you can just use the
.dict() method (or other options already explained earlier in this thread).

If you want a dict interpretation of the querystring *that handles keys
with brackets in their names in a special way*, then yes, you have to
implement that yourself. It wouldn't be hard to implement, and then that
code could be shared by all who want it.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5515BB4F.3010502%40oddbird.net.