On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM, bobhaugen <bob.hau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You gotta give PHP credit here. They did deployment better than anybody.

I'd disagree massively. Deploying code is not the same as ftping a
bunch of files in to a directory and hoping for the best. Where is the
repeatability, rollback etc?

> Django as a community could stand to put more concentrated work into
> deployment.

Django is a community, but django is also just one part of your stack.
Rightfully, things like being a webserver, rotating logs, managing
rollout/rollback and a whole heap of other things are orthogonal to
Django - is deploying a Django project really that different than
deploying another python application?

Fortunately, Django is part of a larger community - the python
community. The python community has done a lot of work in deployment
(think virtualenv, fabric, the logging API, supervisor processes...)

Even when there isn't a solution in the python community, we're also
all part of the larger open source community. We don't need to bring
CI into django, because we can easily leverage things like Jenkins,
which despite being a Java project, integrates really quite well.

Django isn't a panacea - to really downplay it, it just provides tools
to manage the ORM, processing requests and managing content - but by
combining it with the appropriate other tools and knowledge, you get
awesome deployments.

Cheers

Tom

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAFHbX1Ly%2BJM4cat7R7iymsVZQUZXacjCuhO0aJcww5H1YrBpzQ%40mail.gmail.com.