I haven't taken the course, but the differences between basic Django 1.8
and 1.9 are not all that significant and you can find out if you are being
taught something odd by reviewing 1.9 release notes. Big caveat, syncdb is
gone in 1.9 so you have to learn migrations if the Udemy course is using
syncdb.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/28a4674e-c4b3-438d-b04f-785f294a05e9%40googlegroups.com.