On 12/05/16 18:36, Sean McKinley wrote:
> I haven't taken the course, but the differences between basic Django 1.8
> and 1.9 are not all that significant and you can find out if you are
> being taught something odd by reviewing 1.9 release notes. Big caveat,
> syncdb is gone in 1.9 so you have to learn migrations if the Udemy
> course is using syncdb.

syncdb was deprecated in 1.7, with release of the django migrations.
So basically the only difference may be using another command for the
same thing.
If there are no deprecation warnings using the app with 1.8 it should be
no problem to upgrade to 1.9.
The main difference between 1.8 and 1.9 in my opinion is support.
1.8 is LTS and will be supported longer than 1.9, we still build all new
applications for our customers with 1.8 at work because of the longer
support.
Most of the features of 1.9 are possible to install as python package,
like the new admin theme and PermissionMixins/django-braces

Upgrading a minor version is mostly easy and a good thing to learn ;)

--
Florian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/434a09da-3db4-fc5a-e75a-615d7eb97ea3%40ist-total.org.