great.  I'm sure it's not perfect yet but I ended up with this:

def entries_by_category(request, slug, childslug=None):

        if childslug is not None: slug = childslug
        category = get_object_or_404(Category, slug=slug)
        entry_list_by_category = category.entry_set.order_by('-pub_date',
'title')
        return render_to_response('cake/entries_by_category.html',
{'entry_list_by_category': entry_list_by_category, 'category':
category})