Hi,

I'm using SQLite in production in one application I've made for an eshop hosted
by BigCommerce. It gets the orders from the BigCommerce API and formats them on
a PDF for printing on labels. It has no models, and all the data is stored in
BigCommerce. The only significant data stored in SQLite is the users' names and
passwords used for login, by ``django.contrib.auth``. It's hardly three users.
Recreating them would be easier than maintaining a PostgreSQL installation. So
SQLite it is.

What if your database is small and you don't have many users, but you store
mission-critical data in the database? That's a hard one. The thing is, no-one
really knows if SQLite is appropriate, because no-one is using it for
mission-critical data. Thunderbird doesn't use it for storing emails, but for
storing indexes, which can be recreated. Likewise for Firefox. The SQLite people
claim it's appropriate for mission-critical applications
(https://www.sqlite.org/testing.html), but industry experience on that is
practically nonexistent. I've never seen corruption in SQLite. I've seen
corruption in PostgreSQL, but we are comparing apples to oranges. I have a gut
feeling (but no hard data) that I can trust SQLite more than MySQL.

If I ever choose to use SQLite for mission-critical data, I will make sure I not
just backup the database file, but also backup a plain text dump of the
database. I trust plain text dumps more than database files in case there is
silent corruption that can go unnoticed for some time.

As for MySQL, I never understood why it has become so popular when there's
PostgreSQL around. My only explanation is it was marketed better. PostgreSQL is
more powerful, it is easier, and it has better documentation. Every now and then
I hear of silly MySQL problems that are unheard of in PostgreSQL (the latest I
heard is the broken Unicode support,
https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/mysql-utf8mb4). If you have a reason to use
MySQL, it's probably that you already know it, or that people around you know it
(e.g. it is company policy). Same thing with MS SQL. Otherwise PostgreSQL is
easily the best option.

Regards,

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com