FWIW, as someone who recently had to go through this evaluation process, yes perfromance does have a place. In fact addressing performance would make this article a lot more useful, I think.

Comparisons of lines of code or development time are interesting, but they're not that empirical. Lines of code is a notoriously dubious metric (especially when you compare code from different authors), and implementation time? Well you have two different developers working, and presumably they have different brains, so these numbers don't mean that much to me, either.

There are a bunch of ways to deploy django too. But if you picked a few sensible deployment options for both, and tested them, you'd get numbers that are at least as useful and as scientific as the rest of the article. It would be a very interesting data point as well, since the ultimate conclusion is that rails is more concise, it would be extremely interesting to know if that concission results in better performance, or whether it's just because Rails has more magic.

Cheers,
~ol