I've got LDAPSearch configured to work with my Synology Directory Server.
Users can authenticate fine but when I try to map a user to a group I get
INVALID_CREDENTIALS:

import ldap

# Server URI
AUTH_LDAP_SERVER_URI = "ldaps://synology.kensnet.priv"

# Set the DN and password for the NetBox service account.
AUTH_LDAP_BIND_DN = "CN=netbox,CN=users,DC=kensnet,DC=priv"
AUTH_LDAP_BIND_PASSWORD = bindpassword

LDAP_IGNORE_CERT_ERRORS = True

from django_auth_ldap.config import LDAPSearch, PosixGroupType,
GroupOfNamesType

AUTH_LDAP_USER_SEARCH = LDAPSearch("cn=users,dc=kensnet,dc=priv",
                                    ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE,
                                    "(sAMAccountName=%(user)s)")

# If a user's DN is producible from their username, we don't need to search.
AUTH_LDAP_USER_DN_TEMPLATE = "uid=%(user)s,cn=users,dc=kensnet,dc=priv"

### EVERYTHING WORKS UP UNTIL HERE

#### Groups

# # This search ought to return all groups to which the user belongs.
django_auth_ldap uses this to determine group
# # heirarchy.
AUTH_LDAP_GROUP_SEARCH = LDAPSearch("dc=kensnet,dc=priv", ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE
,
                                    "(objectClass=organizationalRole")
AUTH_LDAP_GROUP_TYPE = GroupOfNamesType()

# # Define a group required to login.
AUTH_LDAP_REQUIRE_GROUP = "cn=users,cn=groups,dc=kensnet,dc=priv"

# Define special user types using groups. Exercise great caution when
assigning superuser status.
AUTH_LDAP_USER_FLAGS_BY_GROUP = {
    "is_staff": "cn=staff,cn=groups,dc=kensnet,dc=priv",
    "is_superuser": "cn=administrators,cn=groups,dc=kensnet,dc=priv"
}

How can I troubleshoot the group search/mapping to figure out what the
issue is?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e4de4251-dfbc-464e-a356-2297ac6c670d%40googlegroups.com.