On 11/30/06, Felix Ingram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The 'right' way of securing an application is very much dependant on
> the application itself and the function it is trying to perform.
> Storing password hashes is a way to mitigate the risks associated with
> someone gaining access to the database. There may be cases where this
> is not appropriate.

And in those cases, someone who doesn't want a hashed password can
easily write a custom auth backend (which is an extremely simple thing
to do), or a user profile module which stores the plaintext password.

In general, I think this is a tradeoff we've had to make to have
Django be as useful as it is -- the goal isn't to satisfy *every* case
out of the box, but to satisfy *common* cases out of the box with the
ability to extend things as needed. And in my experience doing web
development, wanting secure password storage is the much more common
case ;)

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin