No John,

I don't think you understand what we are saying :-)

Like I said earlier - Django is a HTML framework - like ALL HTML framework,
it renders the pages you are seeing on the backend and presents the
information to the user. That is per design in the HTML world. You click on
a link and then the server renders a new page and so on. There is no way to
add "windows" in any other way than to open a new browser. That is the way
HTML works.

If you want to add a fancy single page application (which  is what you are
suggesting) then the only way to do so is to use a Javascript framework of
some kind. What that does is to add the ability to do windows and the like
- just in the way you want to do it - and that is still within the "web UI
wold". If you look at things like the google cloud engine interface or
gmail or the amazon AWS interface, that is all done on the web, with a web
UI. However all of those pages REQUIRE javascript to function.

So it is often requested and I am currently working on a single page
application that uses django for the backend, but HTML cannot render the
single page application - that is done in a javascript framework. So web UI
is completely on par with a desktop application but it requires more
components that you are willing to use :-)

Regards,

Andréas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAK4qSCca9GJ7zcQC0JE6vX-LY_7z8DyEGMqDTPyYaGpZdSvr3A%40mail.gmail.com.