Russ,

I think I had failed to import everything.   I have now used  "from
django import * with partial success.   Then I tried.

>>c=Client()
>>d=c.get('/promotions/')
>>d.content

This worked and returned me a large page of in my shell view.
However,

>>d.context
>>d.template
returns nothing.

>>d(dir)
returns a list of available methods, but "response" is not included.

I then created a simple view:-

def testivew(request):
     return HttpResponse("This is a test")

set this up via the URL conf and then tried again.  Same results as
before.

I'm running Python 2.4 on Windows XP with the latest version of Django.

MerMer