You are correct,
You are using HTML and JavaScript as template in django. You need to store
static files like css/images/JavaScript in static folder and configure
static folder in the settings file

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAKroR%2B3GKOr2zkC%2B6OUjLwcyDMaSr38px0x8nYUgZGh5wRuU_g%40mail.gmail.com.