Hi, sorry for the long delay in replying.   Holiday season and work
craziness is getting in the way of writing free software - which is
really the fun part isn't it? ;)

On 12/17/06, Steve Hutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ways in which my schema evolution code sucks:

> 1) converting the database is done pretty much all automatically so
> you don't really have a way to version control your schema changes

Is this a departure from the Proposal in the wiki[1]?
It says:
"Introspection + migration
This approach is a combination of Automatic db introspection and
Automatically applied migration code -- one command produces a migration
script, you tickle your version number, and the syncdb runs the
migrations"

It's a little different, but barely.

The current codebase emits an SQL file with all the SQL statements to
evolve the database,   There's no provision to save the version
anywhere, but that would be simple to do.

If nobody want's to champion the code, I can volunteer ~3-5 hours a
week to work on this stuff.  My own team needs schema evolution in the
long run anyway - so it's well worth my time to make sure this
eventually gets back to trunk.

I won't be able to do too much until the new year though - so that
said - can somebody open up the schema evolution branch, or better -
open up a new branch from trunk so that we can start hacking away at
this problem?

victor "i hate parking lots at christmas" ng

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."  - Hanlon's Razor