Dave

You are absolutely right. Django does go smoothly on the local machine. However, if you relocate that exact smoothness to a different environment there will definitely be some jagged edges to contend with.

I'm sure you remember tweaking things to achieve local smoothity. You will have to do precisely the same sorts of things for your production environment.

The trick is to abstract everything which interfaces with the environment and (in my case) write little functions to fetch the required bits and pieces or adjust bits and pieces of the staging/production environment to suit.

The most likely cause of your problems will be different locations for static files between here and there. Another cause might be different credentials for accessing the database here versus there. Maybe you have done the right thing and kept all secrets out of your repo and thus you need to find a way to use the correct secret in each location.

Perhaps you are using different versions of Python or Django itself or one or more of your supporting apps/libraries is different in the other environment?

There are ways and means of keeping things totally smooth in any combination of environments but you'll have to be a bit more specific with your questions and requests.

Cheers

Mike