David Abrahams wrote:
...One problem is that the name of the Django
project folder (and thus root module) always seems to creep into the
code in the app-specific directories.

IANADE (django-expert), but from what I've gleaned you can put the path
of each individual application into the python path.

Given:

+ parent_folder
|---+ spam_website
|-------+ foo
|-------- manage.py
|-------- settings.py
|-------- urls.py

You would put parent_folder and parent_folder/spam_website into your
python path.

So when you need a model from the foo application, you do:

   from foo.models import Eggs

and if you need something from the settings module in the project, you
do:

   from spam_website import settings

This would also seem to encourage /not/ putting your applications under
a project folder.

I've not taken this approach in practice, though.  It's just what I've
read in the past...