Hi all:

I'm trying to help the developer of a Django-based webapp with adding
additional language support and have some quick questions regarding how it
works.

The website initially only had Japanese text but now includes English
translations. We would like to add Chinese as well but not just Traditional
(zh-hant) and Simplified Chinese (zh-hans) but something more specific like
Hong Kong Chinese (zh-hk).

You'll have to excuse me since I'm not really a Django developer myself but
I did try to read as much as possible regarding how Internationalization
and Localization works but from my understanding,
https://github.com/django/django/blob/main/django/conf/global_settings.py
provides
languages that Django provides translations for, out of the box, but it's
possible to add your own language (in this case zh-hk). We don't really
want to re-translate everything or make the code overly complex and
honestly most of the text should be the same as zh-hant but we just want to
provide some exceptions. Is it possible to just include certain text in
zh-hk and the rest just let it fall back to zh-hant?

Please feel free to point me to some other documentations or even examples
that deals with this specifically, I will gladly review those.

Oh in case anybody is interested, this is the webapp in question:

https://gundam-data.herokuapp.com/uce/

We are currently managing the text to be translated via a Google Sheet and
once we've gotten everything we will get it compiled and pushed out to the
webapp.

Thanks in advance for any tips/feedback on this!