I currently have a drop down for a model where I'd only like to show
choices that are currently "active".  That's easy enough with:

    foo          = models.ForeignKey(Foo,
limit_choices_to={'active__exact':True})

But if someone is working with a model where the "foo" that they had
previously selected has been subsequently set to inactive they should
be able to keep that foo (they are "grandfathered" in).

In effect I'd like limit_choices_to to have a list of foo.active ==
True plus the current selection they have from the past if it is not
an active choice.

If I could make a method of Foo such as Foo.allowed_choice_for_x  and
then pass it an instance of the current object, then it seems like I
could easily generate the specific drop downlist on the fly but I'm
not sure how to do that (or if it's possible).

Thoughts?