On 20/11/2023 12.02, Om Khade wrote:
Hey Kasper,

We have a method to securely distribute the key for decryption in a way that the client won't be able to use it for decryption on his own but to run the Django project we will have to decrypt the code at some location, I want to make it hard for anyone to access it during this transition. In the end, I want to make it hard for anyone to bypass the licensing mechanism by making changes to the code or to understand the validation logic in place to detect code changes.

Sure, you can make it "hard" with different kinds of obfuscation but in the end the client will still have access to the key since the client has full control over the machine including reading whatever is stored in memory.

You can make the validation logic so complicated that it's harder to reverse engineer but that will without doubt introduce a lot of bugs and annoyances for your paying customers while you haven't effectively stopped anyone from accessing your keys anyway.

Security by obscurity and DRM doesn't work and it's not worth trying to implement.

That's just my (and many others) opinion of course. If you want to try to implement something that is logically impossible to do then by all means go ahead.

Kind regards,
Kasper Laudrup