> You should be able to just set up a minimal Django project with
> settings to specify a database and an INSTALLED_APPS list, and then
> things will just work. If you don't want to use a settings file, you
> could even do it with manual settings configuration:

Thanks for the link!
Would I really have to set up my backend app as a Django App?
Is it required to due to some meta-programming magic?
ie I'd rather not have to run our app via manage.py/django-admin.

Could I not do something like:

Myapplication.py:
# make sure Django is on the python path then
from django.conf import settings

settings.configure(DEBUG=True) #want minimal settings

And then import the shared models.py (shared will probably mean they
both have copies of), and then use the models objects/instances to do
my queries?

Hopefully we could run it via what we currently do:
python Myapplication.py <options galore>

We want to keep the two applications (web-front end, backend
scheduler) as separate as possible.

Is it possible to do it this way?

Thanks

Julian