On Feb 7, 1:22 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks for the link!
> Would I really have to set up my backend app as a Django App?
> Is it required to due to some meta-programming magic?
> ie I'd rather not have to run our app via manage.py/django-admin.

let me see if I understand your situation- you want to replace the
frontend entirely, and keep your current backend tools. The front end
has a web interface, the back end is all command-line.

You're thinking about redoing the front end completely, in Django, and
using the Django ORM interface in your existing backend scripts.

For least pain, I'd use the existing database in the new Django app-
see http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/legacy_databases/ -
and not worry about the ORM in your backend. When you need a new
table, create it in the frontend model, run manage.py syncdb once, and
there it is. If you start re-writing your backend to use an ORM,
you're "fixing what isn't broken". Django can't alter tables- add
columns, rename, add index, change type, etc, so won't help with many
common database admin tasks. (If you really want to use the ORM- how
about putting your backend into a maintenence section of your new
frontend, and calling it with "wget" or the like?)