On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 16:06 -0600, Derek Lee-Wo wrote:
> > It may take a couple more days to work this out. It's only been 48 hours
> > since you posted the original problem and less than 24 hours since you
> > posted a portion of your code that causes the problem. It is very
> > unusual behaviour for Django; the templating code is normally very fast,
> > but this isn't a trivial thing to work out.
> >
> > Anybody working on this problem (including me), has to work up the
> > necessary wrapper code to try and replicate the problem and create some
> > test data and hope we see the same thing. If we don't, we have to bounce
> > it back to you to get some more information. So understand that this can
>
> I'm sorry if I offended anyone by my post about trying another
> template engine.

Don't worry. You didn't offend anybody (at least not me). I was just
trying to set some expectations about how fast you might expect a
solution (you got some quick responses, but not full solution). If you
want to move to another system, that really isn't going to bother
anybody either, but I was trying to suggest that then you have to learn
two new things and the time invested might match the time required to
see if we can unravel this one.

> I certainly wasn't expecting that anyone was going
> to spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out if I was doing
> something wrong, or if there was some kind of Django issue.
>
> My original post was to really geared to finding any resources that
> might give some best-practice guidelines  Barring that, I was really
> only hoping for any quick or easy suggestions others may have.

We don't really have any guidelines like that because "do the obvious"
generally works very well. It really is surprising that you're seeing
this sort of behaviour and I'm sure I'm not the only person who read
your mail, sat up and thought "that looks very odd".

[...]
> Now that I'm aware that others are actually trying to reproduce my
> problem, I'll stick with it for now and also try and do some more
> digging on my own.

Anything you can do to reduce your code to a small example that exhibits
the same behaviour would definitely make things easier. Failing that,
the code you have now is a good substitute (we can untangle most things
with enough effort). Looking at the views.py file you provided earlier,
it looks like you are on the right track with inserting the timing
statements to split up the work, but it's not quite obvious where the
time is going yet. So if we have something we can replicate and then
pull on the strings to see what happens, that will be great.

Regards,
Malcolm