None of those suggestions seem to help
-- Should I use a method that will break in 1.0??
-- As a beginner, I am loath to try patching Django
-- I have no test_client in my Django distribution
-- I see how to provide a .sql file, but how do I put a super user in
it?

Perhaps I'm just going at this wrong. The problem is that I'm a
beginner, going down
many false pathways. As such, I create a model, play around with it a
bit, modify it
and play some more. Every change seems to require that I erase the
database,
recreate it with syncdb, and reenter my superuser data.
Two things make this difficult:
1)-- Any data I have added to the database disappears on each cycle
2)-- The process of entering the superuser is most annoying for a hunt-
and-peck typist
who is a beginner (has to do it often), and an amateur (works on this
sporadically).

I can accept that Django may not be able to add, delete, or rename a
field without me erasing the database,
But couldn't it at least syncdb with an automatically created
superuser ( at least in the development environment)?

Karl