And the mystery becomes more intriguing ... a missing Python 2.4
install?

benjamin-chaits-powerbook-g4-15:~ benjaminchait$ ls -l /opt/local/bin
total 256
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  admin  48092 Feb 22 17:48 daemondo
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  admin  65403 Feb 22 17:48 port
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin     19 Feb 22 17:48 portf -> /opt/local/bin/
port
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  admin   5310 Feb 22 17:48 portindex
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  admin   3475 Feb 22 17:48 portmirror