Have you done any profiling to see where your bottlenecks are? There's a
decent set of notes on profiling Django at
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/ProfilingDjango and an even greater
writeup at
http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/django-profiling-hotshot-and-kcachegrind/.

Apache+Mod_Python and Lighttpd+FastCGI have both rendered out (very simple)
pages in the sub 100ms range for me. I'd look to the code and see exactly
where the bottlenecks are happening.

-joe