On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 17:16 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how do people deploy Django projects with subversion?  We did a simple
> checkout at a client's and when we need to do updates, we copy his
> settings.py file somewhere outside the directory, do the svn update,
> we copy the settings.py file back in and do a graceful restart of
> Apache.
>
> Does anyone have tricks to make this process a bit more efficient and
> not catastrophic in case we forget to copy the settings.py file?

There's no compulsion to have settings.py inside the project directory
(it also doesn't have to be called settings.py, so you can put the
settings files for a number of projects in the same directory if you
name them carefully).

For my personal work, I keep my settings.py files for production
settings outside of the project directory so that I can just untar the
new version of the code, update a symlink to the latest version and
reload the webserver process, without needing to remember to update the
settings file.

Regards,
Malcolm