Thank Kemuri,

MySQL cluster seems very cool, but I'm not sure it is the best solution
if the DB is split over different networks . Latency might be an issue
with the synchronous setup that MySQL cluster provides.

Having looked at it a bit further since my post I am considering
"circular replication" with a master on each  network and slaves under
each master (based on what Julio mentioned).   Using this type of setup
I am hoping to test out Amazon's EC2 as a way to scale Django apps.

There's an interest article on setting up circular replication at
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/04/20/advanced-mysql-replication.html

MerMer