> I will be working on this project as part of my Real Job(tm),
> so devoting time to it should not be a problem. However,
> before I begin coding, I want the community's input on a few
> issues.
>
> What is the right way, at DB level, to implement the audit
> trail?  I had two ideas:

Todd Schraml authored a good article in Dr. Dobb's Journal
(http://www.ddj.com/dept/database/184406340) titled _Table
Patterns & Changing Data_ where he discusses five patterns for
keeping historical data, and the requirements that would lead to
choosing one pattern over another.  While it's written in the
context of SarbOx, auditing can be needed even where SarbOx isn't
a concern.

While I know I had thought of each of these patterns
independently, I hadn't gathered such patterns into one place at
the same time to weigh benefits vs. costs.  I don't know the
answer to your "What is the right way, at the DB level, to
implement the audit trail" question, but my thought would be it
depends on the scenario.

I don't know if seeing the various common ways of keeping an
audit trail would help guide design decisions, but ya'll may find
the link helpful.

-tim