On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 04:43:27AM -0700, Joe wrote:
> It sounds like you shouldn't be using Django, honestly.  You would be
> fighting against/hacking around most of the functionality of django
> because django is an MVC framework and you guys basically are trying
> to re-write the model architecture.  If you really really really want
> to use django, you should probably just stick to using the controller/
> view portion, which would suck because you couldn't use the admin
> application.

I don't think this is true.  Django's various layers of functionality are
de-coupled relatively well.  I would still use Django even if my data access
back-end is pure XML-RPC.  I just probably wouldn't use Django's ORM.

Of course, using the ORM does allow you to abstract your web code even further,
but you can probably write wrapper classes around your XML-RPC calls to get som
eof that.  (For instance, you might implement a class that, to a limited extent,
emulates the QuerySet class; I think you need this to use generic views, but
correct me if I'm wrong).

-Forest