On 4/26/07, arv43 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello,
> i get a 550, relay not permitted error when i try to use send_mail.
> this is on my laptop running Ubuntu. But when I try this on my host
> (webfaction), I get a different error
>
> Exception Type:      error
> Exception Value:     (111, 'Connection refused')
> Exception Location:     /usr/local/lib/python2.4/smtplib.py in
> connect, line 310
>
> i have a registration/login form, which simply takes in an email id,
> and sends an email to that id. unfortunately, i get an error.
>
> My guess is something needs to be done about the mail server, but
> unlike Python's smtplib which requires a server to connect and stuff,
> Django doesnt seem to have/need anything. is there someplace that i
> should modify settings for sending mail to work.

You probably need to set EMAIL_HOST (and maybe EMAIL_PORT, EMAIL_HOST_USER,
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD) in your settings file.  EMAIL_HOST defaults to
"localhost" so Django is trying to connect to an SMTP server running on
whatever machine you are running on.

These settings are documented here:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/settings

but not mentioned (last I checked) in the doc for send_mail.

Hope this helps,
Karen