On Thursday 31 May 2007 09:03:32 Christian Markwart Hoeppner wrote:
> AFAIK, the bottleneck tends to be the database, so a cache solution like
> memcached should make the deal. Think of a 256Mb cache for 10 seconds
> maybe.

Yes, the database is generally the main bottleneck these days. memcached is
definitely on my radar.

> Of course, the hardware should be able at least to serve that amount of
> static pages, and maybe you should think about running the database on
> another box, and link them with a proper lan.

Currently we have three web server machines behind a load balancer, all of
which talk to one MySQL database on another machine. We also have a separate
machine for the copious media involved. Of course, the load is mitigated by
the (expensive!) Akami off-site caching.

> Though I have not ever experienced such a traffic, so this is pure
> theory.

Thanks for the response!